Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pinterest Pretzelmaker

I've had a thing for soft pretzels for as long as I can remember. They are my go-to food at any sporting event, late night snack at the bar or unfortunate trip to the state fair. They are the perfect food. Big. Soft. Chewy. Covered in salt. Dripping with butter. And best when dipped in a cup of warm pump cheese (yeah I said it!)
    My favorite pretzel memories come from Pretzelmaker at McCain Mall (my first mall) in North Little Rock. Pretzelmaker pretzels are the best soft pretzels and McCain houses the only location in Arkansas. 
    I, of course, discovered it was National Pretzel Day last week when I arrived to work and then sat at my desk for the longest eight hours of my life, fighting off a series of pretzel cravings with each recipe Pin that popped up in my Pinterest feed. By the end of the day, Pinterest had convinced me that making my own pretzels was simple, easy and delicious. So I decided to give it a go with a recipe reviewers claimed tastes exactly like my beloved Pretzelmaker pretzels. While nothing beats those freshly butter-submerged twists, this recipe came pretty close, and it makes TWELVE!


Ingredients
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt


Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.
Knead

 2. Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan. Line 6 baking sheets with parchment paper.

3. After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution. Place onto parchment covered baking sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
Not quite as smooth as a Pretzelmaker employee
Form the dough
4. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

5. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.

Add the most important ingredients: butter ...

... and salt.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com.


2 comments:

  1. You are so cute! I am kinda obsessed with Auntie Anne's cinnamon-sugar pretzel (at Park Plaza), so thanks for sharing the homemade version! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a whole heck of a lot better than I could have! I LOVE the way they smell at Auntie Anne's though when they're cooking. To die for!

    ReplyDelete